Tahoe-Based and International Guiding Trips
Shar Outdoors: Macedonia and the Balkans
In January, 2020 I had the fortune of visiting Shar Outdoors in their home country of Macedonia. If you’ve never thought of ski touring in the Balkans you’re not the only one! It’s a great secret of Eastern Europe, an off-the-beaten-path snowy locale with rich culture, and lots of opportunities for alpine adventures.
The Adventure Project: Japan and Gulmarg (Kashmir)
Inspirational ski touring is around every corner in Gulmarg. I was constantly blown away by views like this each time we got into the alpine. In February, 2015 I guided for the Adventure Project in the Kashmir, Himalaya.
Photo: Jerrod Fast
In May/June 2017 I was able to join guide and owner Luke Smithwick to ski guide an exploratory expedition into the Indian Himalaya. You can check out some photos and reports from our trip here. Be in touch if you have any interest in skiing in this special part of the world.
- Extensive Backcountry Skiing and Ski Mountaineering in the Sierra Nevada Range and the Lower 48, with notable ski descents of Middle Palisade, Mt. Williamson. Mt. Mendel, Split Mountain, Mt. Rainer, and the Grand Teton to name a few.
- Ski Descents on all 7 of the World’s Continents; First Ski Descents on 6 Continents; Guiding on 5 Continents
- Assistant Guiding on Denali, AK for Mountain Trip, 2010
- Assistant to Ice Axe Expeditions and Warren Miller Ent., Antarctica, 2009; Antarctic Ski Guide for Ice Axe Expeditions 2015, 2016, 2017; Out of Bounds 3D IMAX film guide, 2018
- Preliminary Backcountry Feasibility Study, Points North Heli-Adventures, Chugach Mountains, Alaska, 2011; Alaskan Backcountry Ski Guide 2012-present; Helicopter and Backcountry Ski Guide for Warren Miller Ent., 2015; Backcountry Ski Guide for Finding the Line Film, 2017
- Co-guide to 79 degrees north for Ice Axe Expeditions, Arctic Norway (Svalbard), 2013
- Member of Exploratory Ski Expedition, Including Feasibility Study for Future Guests, Sisimiut, Greenland, 2014 ; Return Expedition, 2015, 2017, 2019
- Guiding in Gulmarg, Kashmir Himalaya, 2015
- Trained Guides and Guiding for Homewood Snowcat Adventures, Lake Tahoe, CA, 2016-present
- Private Ski Guide, NASTAC, Lake Tahoe, CA, 2016-present
- Sailboat and Ski co-guide for Ice Axe Expeditions, Iceland, 2016
- Expedition Support Team, Kaktovik, Alaska, February, 2017; Polar Bear filming/guide support Out of Bounds 3D IMAX film, May, 2019
- Co-guide, Exploratory Ski Expedition to the Kang Yatze Massif, Indian Himalaya, with a successful first ski descent from 20,084′, June 2017
- Exploratory ski descents in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, Alaska via rafting expedition, 2018
- Guiding in Siberia, Russia for 40 Tribes, December, 2018
- Guiding in Kyrgyzstan for 40 Tribes, January and February, 2019
- Guiding in Georgia for 40 Tribes, January, 2020
- Guiding in Lofoten and Lyngen Alps, Norway, 2019
- Backcountry Ski touring and Operations Consulting, Shar Outdoors, Macedonia, January, 2020
- Athlete/Cultural Sustainability Role for Snowhunters Film, Altai Mountains, China, January, 2020
Ski Guiding Partners
The following are partners I have been privileged to work with as a ski guide over the years. While these outfits cover a good portion of the globe in fine style, I am always happy to connect around your dream adventure, or help put you in touch with a trip or partner that sounds right for you.
In 2011, PNH acquired a first of its kind permit from the US Forest Service. That winter, myself and co-guide Jeff Dostie were able to engage in a feasibility test scouting terrain for camps, ascents and descents in a non-motorized area of the Chugach Mountains of Alaska. In 2012, we welcomed four weeks of clients to glowing reviews with each new week bringing unlimited powder skiing as well as the establishment of several never before climbed or skied lines. In 2013, we did more of the same as 236 inches of snow fell on our camp during the 4 Week season. In 2014, we established more new lines in one season than in the previous three years combined. In 2015, we welcomed Warren Miller Ent. to Tour Camp to film for a segment in their 66th ski movie, Chasing Shadows. In 2016, the Tour Camp crew was able to make the first ever ascent of the mighty Sphinx. In 2017 we enjoyed another sold out season with a super fun slew of guests, including hosting the Finding the Line crew for part of their Alaska film segment (watch the film here courtesy of Red Bull). If you’re a backcountry skier/rider this is the definition of a dream trip! Recent years have had more highlights, including getting to join Cody Townsend for a memorable day on Pontoon, but of course COVID-19 altered so much of our plans and operations. In March 2022 Jeff, Wes and I were able to scout and ski in a new-to-us zone that we’re planning to share this upcoming season and beyond! Be in touch if you are interested in joining us!
Online Press: Teton Gravity Research, ESPN, Freeskier, Snowbrains, Skiing-Blog, Unofficial Networks, Outside, Warren Miller Ent., Arctic Oven before and after, Powder, Jackson Hole Skier (pg. 64), Red Bull
Print Press: Powder Magazine, December 2013 ; Skiing Magazine, December 2013; Frequency Magazine, 11.3; Outside Magazine, February, 2014 ; Skiing Magazine, November 2015
Ice Axe Expeditions leads “once in a lifetime” trips to the North Pole, South Pole and the Amazon, as well as ski focussed trips to places like Svalbard, Greenland, and the Antarctic.
In 2009, I joined the Antarctica expedition and was able to help support Ice Axe as well as Warren Miller Ent. for the filming of a segment of their ski movie. You can check out some stories from that trip here. We had a great trip in 2015, 2016, and in 2017 as well. In 2018 I was fortunate to guide the Out of Bounds crew as part of the filming for their 3D Imax film.
In May, 2013 I co-guided one of the many unique ski expeditions offered by Ice Axe Expeditions to Svalbard Norway. You can read more about that trip here. Imbedded within that article are links to several other online articles about the trip. You can also read about the expedition in the December issue of Freeskier Magazine.
In April, 2014 I was fortunate to be a member of a group of pro skiers and guides who set out to map and explore never before skied terrain near Sisimiut, Greenland. The people, experience and ski ability of the area is world class. Like the Tour Camp program in Alaska the opportunity to climb and ski never before touched lines are a major part of this expedition. Check out a story about our trip on backcountry.com. In April, 2015 I co-guided a group back to Sisimiut. We had exceptional conditions and enjoyed repeat standout visits in 2017 and in 2019. You can check out some photos and stories from the 2015 trip here and here. There’s also beautiful piece available in print and online from Ascent Backcountry Snow Journal.
And if you’re interested in Iceland here’s a few shots and words from our trip in 2016. Ice Axe is continually offering once in a lifetime trips, be in touch if you’re interested in anything Ice Axe has to offer.
In 2018 I joined 40 tribes to lead guide a ski trip to Siberia. Read about the deepness of the experience here. In early 2019 I guided a few weeks at their flagship yurt camp in Kyrgyzstan. It was a blast and you can read about that trip here. My last expedition before Covid-19 hit the world was leading a crew on an incredible adventure to Georgia. You can read about the trip here. Take a look at what 40 Tribes has to offer and be in touch if anything speaks to you. This outfit is culturally conscious, and travels to some of the raddest, most out-there locations you can imagine with powder on the mind.